Saturday, August 28, 2010

New school year brings new changes!


When I found out I was being moved to 5th grade I have to admit I was shocked and it took some time to process this new challenge since for the past five years I have only taught 3rd graders! It would definitely be difficult parting with my team and classroom. After having all summer to do this, I also realized that five years ago Charlie and I both started together at Malakoff Elementary and now we were both also moving on together to 5th grade. I took this as a blessing in disguise as this will be his last year in elementary school. It will be a bittersweet change for me when he leaves me for middle school. I have all year to process that....

With Caro in 1st grade and Cristina in 3rd, I knew they would both be fine. Caro will be reunited with her Kinder teacher (who was also moved) and Cristina would be with my mentor/team member and good friend (who was also Charlie's teacher). I know they are in good hands since I will not get to see them as much as I am in a portable outside the school now.

As for me-well, I would be reunited with my former students and 3rd graders from two years ago. This is definitely going to ease the transition. I have also entered the Master's Program at Texas A&M International University. Five years ago I set a goal to return to school to pursue my Masters' Degree in School Counseling after Carolina completed her first year in school. And now, it is actually here. If all goes as planned, I hope to graduate and complete the program in two years.

This year will definitely be a year of new challenges and good changes for the Martinez family!

1 comment:

Josie said...

Congrats on starting your Master's program!! You will be quite busy this year but I'm sure you will take it all in stride as always. :)